Monday, February 27, 2006

High School Exit Exam

In order to graduate high school, students in California need to pass an exam proving that they are ready to graduate. Students who do not speak English are claiming the test is biased. story

Apparently there are about 40,000 students that do not speack much english that have yet to pass. They believe that this test is unnecessary and punitive.

Here is a quote from the student they profiled:
"I need a diploma," said Iris, a chestnut-haired girl who was born in Los Angeles and grew up in the Mexican state of Jalisco. "I want it. I deserve it. I've been going to school and studying. I want to have a profession."

And this one:
"My heart just breaks, because many of these students have been in this country just six months or a year," Martinez-McCoffey said later, her eyes welling with tears.


If you have only been in this country six months to a year than you probably should have waited to finish school if that was not possible then you must find another way. A high school diploma is not a right but a privilage that must be earned. Truthfully, I dropped out to take the GED. But here is a plan for any that cannot pass the test. Simply enroll in community college by the time you finish the required curriculum for the school your high school credits will be earned. What good is a diploma if you dont speak English?

No comments: