Saturday, June 10, 2006

Newt

While I like Gingrich and believes he has a legitimate shot at the 08 presidential nominantion, I am shocked to hear him criticize the justice department for raiding Congressman Jefferson's office last month.

"It is an example of the arrogance of this administration toward the legislative branch, and it's intolerable," he said. "If I was speaker, there would be no appropriations to the Justice Department until this is resolved."

What???? I do not follow this seperation of powers logic. Does this mean that Congress believes they could hide murder weapons in their congressional offices and be protected under seperation of powers? Does this mean the justice department can not protect the Congressional builing?

It seems rather simple. Get caught with $90,000 in your freezer and your office is getting searched. Plus, the justice department had supenoed documents from Jefferson months ago and he refused to turn over these documents.

2 comments:

Joe Verica said...

I agree with you 100% on this. I posted a blog on the topic as well.

I think the congressmen and senators are all scared to death about this search because so many of them have something to hide. The President probably has plenty to hide as well.

Incidentally, I met Newt last week. I was on my way to the west coast and had a two day stop in New Orleans. I bumped into Newt outside the hotel waiting for a cab. I was suprised he had no security around him. Anyway, he was pretty friendly. I got a few pics of him with my kids.

As for his candidacy in 2008, I would like to see it happen, but I think he is too much of a straight shooter to pull it off. Bush is also a straight shooter, but has the ability to be vague when necessary. Newt lacks that, at least in recent years when he has been doing to talk radio circuit.

Roy said...

That is pretty cool I can't believe he doesn't have any security. I agree that he is probably too much of a straight shooter to win the the presidency, I do think he can win the Republican nomination. Hoever, I think that Newt vs Hillary would be very interesting.