Friday, July 07, 2006

Plight of the Wiccan

The wife of a Nevadan soldier that died in military service in Afhghanistan is fighting for the government to place a Wiccan emblem on her husbands tombstone at the memorial wall at the Northern Nevada Veterens Memorial Cemetary. full story

The emblem which is an encircled five point star is not on the approved list, which according to different stories is between 35 & 39. Unfortunately I cannot find the list to review accepted symbols. Personally, I think that with 30+ approved symbols there has to be many marginal religions represented. Therefore the state should place the symbol on his marker. To be clear, I do not think that the state should just place any old symbol on any tombstone but I have heard of Wiccan's for at least 15 year, which seems to mean that it cannot be that marginal. But then again I am from California and my view of the world is skewed accordingly.

1 comment:

Joe Verica said...

I am not sure what all the approved symbols are either, but I am pretty sure that they are NOT all religious symbols. Some are symbols for fraternal organization like the Knights of Columbus or the Freemasons.

As for the Wiccan symbol, I certainly understand that the govt would want to review any requests that are not on the approved list, but I don't see any particular reason for the delay. My guess is that they are reluctant to approve the symbol because of the association of the pentagram with Satan worship, black magic, etc. But even so, if that is what the soldier wanted on his grave, then I say put it on.