Wednesday, August 31, 2005

New Orleans Parish Prison

I must admit I am a news junkie, but there are two stories I cannot get into natural disasters and missing person stories. It is not that I do not symapthize with the victims of Katrina or that I do not believe it is news worthy it just bores me. It is not news that the south east has hurricanes so people live there at their own risk. It is not as if this is the first year of hurricanes. That being said it is probably not the time to debate this as there are still many people suffering through this disaster.

Interestingly enough there was one story which has been buried which is interesting. There are reports that inmates at New Orleans Parish Prison have taken control of the prison and have a guard, his wife and four children hostage.

The problem is that there is no media in this area to confirm these reports. IT appears the inmates want food, water and survival. I am no prison apologist but I do believe that it is human nature to survive and do whatever it takes to survive. If these prisoners have been left to their own device to drown or starve then taking control of the prison seems to be a logical step if they just want food and water. If they are attempting to exploit the situation by rioting and hoping to escape they should be severely punished. However rioting for food, water and survival seems to be alright to me. If I was left in a flooded building I would do whatever was necessary tro survive.

No comments: